Whey Protein for Women: How It Can Benefit Your Health and Fitness
When one thinks of whey protein or any other supplement, the general perception is a bodybuilder or an athlete working out intensely with sipping off n on a protein shake. It is time to shed the old notions and widen the outlook on whey protein consumption and its benefit, especially for women.
Do Women Need Protein Daily?
With no gray shades to the answer, yes, women need sufficient protein daily. Protein is an essential macronutrient for everyone, regardless of gender. It helps to build and repair tissues, produces enzymes and hormones, and plays a role in cell signaling. However, there is some debate about how much protein women need daily.
The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight or about 46 grams per day for the average woman. But some experts believe this amount is too low, particularly for active women or those trying to lose weight. They recommend that women consume 1-1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight or about 68-92 grams per day. So now that the vitality of proteins is established, let us understand what makes whey protein an excellent protein source equally for women.
Whey Protein for Women
Women are 'WOW' beings and must pay enough attention to their health. It is the need of the hour for them to prioritize their health. The first step is to incorporate protein-rich food/ sources into their diet. Various top makers of whey protein have formulated high-quality proteins with added multivitamins and minerals for significant health benefits. Let us understand why women must start taking whey protein as soon as possible.
Benefit Your Health and Fitness With Whey Protein
Enhances your immunity system
The human body needs protein to shield itself against infections and diseases. Go with one of the top makers of whey protein, and you are in for high-quality protein that is complete and absorbed by the body. This full amino-acid profile contains various immune-boosting compounds, such as immunoglobulins and lactoferrin.
These compounds destroy bacteria and viruses, which can help prevent infections and support immune function. Whey protein powders enhance your immunity levels by boosting your immunity system with nutrients like vitamin B12, calcium, and iron, which are necessary for optimal immune function.
Supports & Improves Bone Health
As the human body ages, the bones become weaker and more brittle. It happens more with women as they have lesser density compared to men.
Studies suggest that whey protein can help increase bone density in women. Whey protein is a rich source of amino acids, particularly leucine, which stimulates muscle protein synthesis and promotes bone formation.
Additionally, whey protein contains bioactive peptides, such as lactoferrin and lactalbumin, which may directly or indirectly affect bone health. These peptides may enhance calcium absorption, modulate bone metabolism, and have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, which can contribute to increased bone density.
One study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition found that daily supplementation with whey protein for 6 months increased bone mineral density in postmenopausal women. Another study published in the Journal of Nutrition found that whey protein supplementation improved bone formation markers in older women.
However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential benefits of whey protein on bone health and the optimal dose and duration of supplementation.
Improves Health Of Hair, Skin & Nails
All women are born beautiful, but beauty begins to fade with time and age. We cannot stop the clock from aging, but we can slow the onset of aging by adding whey protein to our diet. Yes, all those women reading this, stop thinking that whey protein is just for building muscles. One of the significant benefits of whey protein for women is better skin, hair, and nail health. This is how it boosts the health of these three:
- Hair Health: Whey protein is rich in cysteine, an amino acid necessary for producing a structural protein called keratin. Cysteine is excellent for healthy, lustrous, and thick hair growth.
- Skin Health: Whey protein contains bioactive peptides that can help stimulate the production of collagen, which is vital for maintaining the elasticity and firmness of the skin. Collagen levels tend to decline with age; after 50, the collagen levels are too low, leading to visible dullness in the skin and wrinkles. Whey protein for women with regular consumption boosts collagen production, improving skin health, reducing wrinkles and fine lines, and improving skin hydration.
- Nail Health: Whey protein is also rich in sulfur-containing amino acids, such as cysteine and methionine, which are essential for the growth and maintenance of healthy nails.
Aids Lean Muscle Growth
Whey protein for women smoothens the way of recovery from intensive gym sessions. If you are among those who love having hard gym sessions and want to continue doing this, then you got to resort to whey proteins for these reasons.
- Promotes Muscle Protein Synthesis: The leucine in whey protein promotes muscle tissue growth and repair, increasing muscle size and strength.
- Helps Maintain Muscle Mass: Muscle mass tends to decline as women age. It leads to a decline in physical activities, opening the road to chronic diseases. Whey protein for women helps women maintain their muscle mass and strength, improving their overall health and quality of life.
- May Aid in Weight Loss: Whey protein helps create a calorie deficit by increasing feelings of fullness for a long time. It benefits women looking to reduce body fat while maintaining or increasing lean muscle mass.
One Of The Convenient Ways To Increase Protein Intake
Women juggle so much and often neglect their health with an inadequate and unbalanced diet. Protein is one of the macronutrients often ignored by women, but not anymore. Whey protein for women by top brands provides the easiest way for women to scoop their form into high-quality protein.
Top makers like IN2 provide specially formulated whey protein for women
in various ways. They have good mixability with multiple yummy flavors making them a convenient option for women who are on the go or may need more time to prepare a full meal.
P.S. Women must choose a high-quality whey protein supplement with consultation by a healthcare provider or registered dietitian. It is all the more vital for pregnant or breastfeeding women to consult with their healthcare provider before starting any new supplement regimen.